The Skilled Migration Officials Group (SMOG) provides a forum for the Commonwealth and State/Territory governments to discuss proposals and new initiatives, share information, consider issues and further develop strategies arising in implementation of policies in relation to skilled migration.
- exchanges information between Commonwealth and States/Territories
- focuses on skilled and business migration meeting skill shortages and economic needs
- considers issues in relation to regional dispersal, as part of a balanced migration program
- considers ways to meet any particular needs of individual States/Territories
- would, on an as needs basis, be tasked to provide advice to the Ministerial Advisory Council on Skilled Migration (MACSM) on the practical implementation of policy initiatives being considered.
The SMOG will enable:
- the Commonwealth and States/Territories to discuss proposed changes and issues related to implementation in the skilled and business migration programmes
- the States/Territories to raise issues that impact on their respective jurisdictions and develop options to overcome difficulties
- the Commonwealth and States/Territories to report on skilled and business migration programmes in the various jurisdictions
- the Commonwealth and States/Territories to develop an understanding of each other's priorities and exchange ideas
- members to identify a work plan for SMOG's activities over given programme years.