The Agriculture Senior Officials' Committee (AGSOC) comprises all department heads and CEOs of Australian / State / Territory and New Zealand Government agencies responsible for primary industries policy issues. It is chaired by the Secretary of the Australian Government Department of Agriculture and Water Resources.
AGSOC provides for cross-jurisdictional cooperative and coordinated approaches to matters of national interest. It also supports the Agriculture Ministers' Forum (AGMIN) in achieving its objectives.
The National Biosecurity Committee and Research and Innovation sub-committees report to AGSOC as needed. There are also a number of areas of collaboration between departments in the form of task groups. Task groups have an AGSOC sponsor, are generally time limited, meet as required, prepare material and report on an 'as needs' basis, when requested by AGSOC. All task groups have a terms of reference.
Task groups and sub-committees focus on items of national significance. They include:
- National Biosecurity Committee (led by Commonwealth)
- Primary Industries Technical Market Access and Trade Development task group (led by Commonwealth)
- Agvet Chemicals task group (led by Commonwealth)
- Drought programs task group (led by Commonwealth)
Where state and territory jurisdictions provide secretariat support, they are listed below:
- Animal Welfare task group (led by VIC)
- Education and skills task group (led by NSW)
- Regulatory Reform task group (led by WA)
- Research and Innovation Committee (led by NSW)